Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Doll's Best Friend: The Fashionista Closet


After a long hiatus from the blogosphere, going blind on presidential elections and tiny prims, and a trip to see my Italian Connection for some good LM junk, I decided that it was again time to wrestle with my inventory demons. So today I went into battle with my very favorite weapon, The Fashionista Closet. The Fashionista Closet is a genius invention by Sparkle Skye and the creative minds over at Allure, designed to combat the inventory beast and keep a diligent fashionista's inventory somewhere within the realm of reasonable. The Fashionista Closet allows the owner to store (and purge) any items he or she does not want to carry around 24/7, so long as the items are copiable. The best part of using the Fashionista Closet system, aside from purging thousands of items from inventory after a good session, is that you end up with an enormous collection of well-put-together outfits that are available to you at the click of a button from anywhere on the grid. Read on, my fellow dolls.

My closets are well-established and each holds different types of items that I need to store (e.g., prim hair, objects, clothes.) The actual objects that serve as the closets are extremely low-prim and modifiable. You can see from the photos that I changed the textures on my Fashionista Closets to something a little more Shyayn than plain 'ol wardrobe textures. To use my favorite weapon and faithless companion in the battle against an out-of-control inventory, I first assemble an attractive outfit from my inventory and take a decent picture of my Doll (above.)


Then I store the copiable components of the outfit in the Fashionista Container (above) and texture the Container with the photo that I took of my Doll in her newly-assembled outfit. In this case, I created an outfit called "Celestial Studios Tank and Zaara Jeans Outfit." After moving the outfit from my inventory into the Fashionista Container, prim hair, skin, jewelry and all, I rename the Container appropriately. The Fashionista Containers are "smart," and give you a warning that you can't miss if you happen to accidentally place non-copiable items into the Container.


Above, the green text indicates that everything I've put into the box has the correct (copy) permissions. After my outfit is stored in a Container and properly labeled, I take the newly-named Container into my inventory and then move that Container into the Fashionista Closet that I'd like to use to store that particular outfit, accessory, or object (below.)


After all of my outfits for the session have been put together, photographed, and stored in their respective closets, I click on/touch each closet to get a menu (below) that asks what size HUD I'd like the closet to rezz (small, medium, or large.) Since I'm just partially blind at this point, I opt for the medium-sized HUD which rezzes on the ground in front of the closet after I select "Medium" from the menu (below.) Once rezzed, I take the HUD into my inventory.



The all-important HUD allows me to see what outfits I have stored in a given closet and gives me access to any of those outfits from anywhere on the grid. To access the outfit I just stored, I wear the HUD from my inventory and locate the outfit (either by photo, search, or flipping through the pictures on the HUD) and select "GET!" from the HUD interface. Once I select "GET!" from the HUD, the closet sends me the requested outfit (below.)


Then I simply wear the folder given to me by the closet and my whole look can change (without all that bulk in inventory.) And you can change your look again, in seconds, at the click of a button (below.) I can't decide if this is better than not having to carry all of those outfits around in your inventory. Lemme know what your dolls think.

5 comments:

Tigerlily Koi said...

I bought this over a year ago and have never, not once, gotten it to work. The HUD hates me. :( I've dropped notes to the creator several times, and got no response and finally gave up. I love the idea obviously, or I wouldn't have got it. I just wish the HUD would do anything! Maybe there's an updated version... If not, do you give lessons? ;)

Shyayn Lusch said...

OMG yes. I am such a devotee of the Fashionista Closet that I would absolutely give lessons. In fact, I'll bet I can guess why the HUD "hates" you already. (There was a time period when my HUD hated me.) Don't worry, we'll work through it. :)

Nightingale Ninetails said...

If you are seriously going to give a lesson, I want to know when and where! I am scared of my Fashionista Closet although heaven knows I need to get over it and start really using it.

Shyayn Lusch said...

Ms. Ninetails, I will happily give a formal lesson on use of the Fashionista Closet! I'll round up the troops in-world and we'll get you fashionistas in gear. :)

Tigerlily Koi said...

That would be seriously awesome. I have (or had...who knows if I tossed them all) boxes upon boxes of stuff that I'd done, and couldn't make the HUD listen to any of it.

Please holler if you do decide to do this!