Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Word About Your Blog …

Snapshot_008
The winds of change are blowing as we prepare to usher in a brand new year.  Naturally, that has brought about a lot of reflection on the past and caused many of us to think about what we want for ourselves and others in the coming year.  I don’t know Carissa Crimson very well, but she shared her beginnings as a Second Life fashion blogger with me last night during a what-the-hell-are-we-doing-and-where-are-we-going chat.  I took a minute to look over the ancient scrolls and was pleasantly surprised to see the hard-work and creativity of someone that was documenting the virtual world of fashion and making machinima when I was just a starry-eyed noob that was learning to open boxes of freebies.  Of course, her avatar wasn’t even half as refined as it is today and she sang the praises of skins and such that would be blown out of the water by what’s out there today.  She cringed, “Oh god, I was wearing bling.”  And as someone who wants to jump off a cliff when I look at my early builds or pictures of myself as a blingified noob, I could completely relate.  Nonetheless, I told her that she should be proud of her work. 
When you think nobody is reading your blog or that nobody appreciates your work or just generally feeling underappreciated, remember what I’m going to say here.  Even the most revolutionary artistic geniuses need someone to believe in what they do.  Each time you sing the praises of someone or find his or her work worth writing about, you validate them.  Forget the massive PR machine that you are as a collective, you’re talking about art and the work of creative masterminds in a way that is practical and accessible to most people.  In the process, you share your creativity and yourselves with the rest of us and that’s really the stuff that makes life in a virtual world worth living and what keeps so many people coming back day after day for more.  Above all, don’t forget that you’re writing history as you chronicle the cutting edge of what’s going on in virtual worlds that most people haven’t even discovered yet.  And in a matter of years, when virtual worlds have become something that most people don’t know how they ever lived without, your writing will exist as evidence of where we’ve been and where we might be headed.  Thank you for working tirelessly to share yourselves and your creativity with the rest of us.
Good Luck and Best Wishes in 2010.  If you need me, I plan on spending a lot of time doing the things that bring joy and fullness in both of my lives and dancing like nobody is watching.

2 comments:

Sasy Scarborough said...

it is wonderful to see someone write about it who 'gets it' your post made me smile, thank you.

xoxSasyxox

EnCore Mayne said...

can't wait for the top marks for SLink shoes. love your canned candour. yer a pro doll. well worth the money spent on reading.